Welcome to MS Surveys, where we have extensive local knowledge, whilst providing a friendly, professional and high-quality service.
Most buyers rely on a mortgage valuation (which is not a defects survey). In some cases the property is not even inspected with a mortgage valuation, plus you may not receive the report. In contrast, a defects survey shows the true condition of the property, which can save you thousands of pounds and may help you to re-negotiate the price.
So, why choose us?
* we are friendly, professional and give a high-quality service
* paperwork sent via post or email on the day of instruction
* you will get a detailed report with clear easy to read advice
* we are Regulated by the RICS (Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors)
Why the need for a property survey?
* usually the single largest investment you will make, you need to be sure what you are purchasing
* it is sensible to get an in-depth knowledge of the condition of the property
* if you alter the property to ensure structural integrity of the building is appropriate
* may result in larger expense later if you sold your property
* Consumer Association advise a survey to be actioned, and not just rely on a mortgage valuation.
Okay, I’d like to get a survey done, what next?
* call or email for a quote; terms and condition are sent via email or post
(payment via debit/credit card or bank transfer)
* an appointment is booked via the selling agent/vendor
(completion of report aimed within 2-3 working days of inspection)
* consultation period will be made available if required
There are three main types of reports we can offer;
RICS CONDITION REPORTS – A Level 1 survey and chosen if buying or selling a conventional house, flat or bungalow constructed of traditional building materials and in reasonable condition and recommended for properties built within the last 50 years and focuses on the condition of the property by setting out the following;
* Clear ‘traffic light’ ratings of the condition of different parts of the building, services, garage and outbuildings showing problems with varying degrees of attention
* Summary of the risks to the condition of the building
* Other matters including guarantees, planning and building control issues for your legal advisors
Note – this report does not include a valuation or inspection of drains
RICS HOMEBUYER REPORTS – A Level 2 survey and is more extensive than an RICS Condition Report and available with or without a valuation. This includes a more extensive Inspection of the property than for the RICS Condition Report, with a detailed report based on the inspection, and an option valuation provided. The surveyor gives professional advice so you can make a reasonable and informed decision as to whether you buy the property.
Problems that the surveyor feels may affect the property value is provided and advice on repairs and ongoing maintenance so you can consider further advice needed before exchanging contracts.
RICS BUILDING SURVEYS – Formerly known as a Structural Survey, this is a Level 3 survey chosen where dealing with a large, older or run-down property, that is unusual or altered, or if major works are planned. It costs more than other reports as it gives detailed information about the structure/fabric of the property and includes;
* A thorough inspection and detailed report on a wider range of issues than a Homebuyer’s Report
* An outline of repair options and likely consequences of inactivity
* Advice for your legal advisors.
Note – this report does not include a valuation although this can be included for an additional fee.
MARKET VALUATIONS – A basic inspection of the property to confirm its worth and undertaken for private clients, solicitors and Housing Associations. We undertake Help to Buy, shared ownership, matrimonial and probate valuations.
Update June 2020 – we are undertaking survey inspections whilst complying with the government’s guidance on managing the risk of Covid19.
Our surveyors are Chartered Building Surveyors authorised and regulated by the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS).